Friday, March 25, 2011

Personal Reflections on the Past and Newly Found Inspirations

As I continue to move deeper into the upper division sequences of my major, I can’t help but find myself wandering more and more where I’ll end up following graduation. The path I’ve taken to this point has allowed me to participate in extreme opposite spectrums of the college course load, which has been far short of an easy ride.

Upon high school graduation I was accepted into the Texas Business program, though choose to further my baseball career in Junior College with hopes of one day making my way on to the Longhorn baseball team. Knowing that if this fell short I would most likely hang up my cleats and focus on getting my degree from the University of Texas, which has been a lifelong aspiration of mine. After two studious years and strenuous baseball seasons in small Texas towns, I decided it was time to do just that. Having worked hard to hold a 4.0 GPA through my two years, I was certain that re-admittance to the business school would be no problem. I was wrong.

Upon receiving my acceptance letter, I was disappointed to learn that I had been declined by the business school, but accepted into my second choice, Communications Advertising. The reason for this was that nearly half of my course credits did not transfer into the equivalent of what I was told they would count for, which are required for incoming transfers. Confident in my learning abilities, I figured that I would spend a year making up the courses I had lost and then internally transfer to business. What I didn’t realize was the vast difference in Junior College classes and those at the University. While I made all A’s and B’s during the first semester, it would be enough to keep me from even applying for transfer. Feeling that mathematics was my strongest subject I decided to focus my efforts on engineering considering the math applications it requires. This too would turn into a dead end following a year in which my best efforts were not rewarded with admission to the school. I was however left with experience in multiple physics and chemistry courses, along with advanced math that stretched all the way into differential equations.

At this time I decided that advertising was going to have to work for me. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to do it, but more so that I just felt my skills would be better suited on the analytical side of thinking. However, I have never been happier with my situation than I am today. What had seemed like three semesters of spinning my wheels quickly changed into an environment I was happy to be in. Upon the start of this semester I became intrigued with media planning due in part to the numbers involved, but the knowledge I have gained through hosting this blog has got my blood pumping for the creative side of the industry.

The personality and atmosphere of a place like Wieden & Kennedy now seems to me as one of the best jobs a man could have. While I enjoy wearing business clothes and suits as much as the next guy, I’d never choose it over jeans and a pull over, especially if I were allowed to wear a hat. That last one is a deal sealer for me any day of the week. While I’ll admit to having been skeptical as to how much creativity an agency like this could bring out of you, just considering the layout of their famous Portland headquarters is enough to make me a believer. What kinds of people are crazy enough to dream up a nest like office hanging five floors above the buildings unique atrium? This goes without mentioning the luring effect of the gymnasium and theatre also housed in the giant 22,000 square-foot building.

Last year Wieden & Kennedy was honored as both Ad Age and Creativity’s 2010 Agency of the Year, the only one to ever earn both honors at the same time. This is in large part due to their amazing campaigns for Old Spice, which have recently surpassed two billion impressions and secured it as the number one most subscribed to brand on YouTube. The creative thinking that led to these award winning spots is an art that the agency claims it will never perfect, though may always stay the leader in.

Perhaps my biggest inspiration drawn from this study came through the man himself, Dan Wieden. In a digital world that is becoming less private by the minute and calling for professionals to be on guard at all times, Wieden seems to just let it all hang out as if he couldn’t care less. When reading through articles I was surprised to see the vast amount of profanity used by him and his clients alike. This is not to say that I see this as admirable, but the manner in which Wieden carries himself speaks volumes about his character and confidence in his image, which his employees will defend at great lengths. He is highly respected by those close to him and others in the industry as he continues to build on an already amazing 30 year run of advertising excellence. If this isn’t a man you would want to work for and learn from, it becomes hard to imagine one much better.

The University of Texas design featured below is one of my personal works that I consider to be not only creative, but very marketable, as I hope to do one day. While it may not impress the creative minds lounging in Portland at the moment, it’s a creation I’m proud of and something for me to build on. Hope you like it.

HOOK EM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home